December 10, 2014
Several exciting projects undertaken by the Allegheny County Parks Foundation, in partnership with Allegheny County, have been recently completed or are scheduled for completion early next year! These include:
- South Park—Montour Trail Connector Trail. This new trail segment, opened last year, enables trail users to connect from South Park to the Montour Trail, a rail-trail that extends from Coraopolis to Clairton and joins the Great Allegheny Passage trail from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC.
- South Park Fairgrounds Oval. Restoration of the recreational ball fields, football field and track, and replacement of the deteriorated bleachers with new native plantings on the slopes of the oval were completed in November. The Oval will be fully open to the public early next spring. These improvements greatly enhance the attractiveness and usability of the Oval.
- North Park Lake Trail –Ingomar Road Section, Gateways and Municipal Row Path. Improvement of the Ingomar Road section of the North Park Lake Trail will increase safety and enhance the trail experience for diverse users who use this section of the trail located on the shoulder of a heavily traveled roadway. This project also includes the construction of a path along the lake shore, anchored at the Babcock Boulevard and Ingomar Road "Gateway" with the restoration of the Babblebrook picnic shelter, and the addition of an accessible path for fishing and rain garden with native plantings.
- Round Hill Park Shade Structures and Amenities. The spray park and playground at Round Hill Park have no nearby trees or other shade and can get very hot in the summer for children and their caregivers. Two attractive permanent metal shade structures have been purchased and will be installed next spring along with benches and trash receptacles to improve the experience for spray park and playground users.
- Settler's Cabin Park—Panhandle Trail Connector Trail. The construction contract has been awarded for this first phase of a trail segment that will enable trail users to connect from Settler's Cabin Park to the Panhandle Trail spur of the Montour Trail. The connector will enable trail users to travel from Settler's Cabin Park to South Park. Construction will start this fall and be completed next spring.
- Bench Endowment Program. Four benches have been installed in South Park, North Park and Settler's Cabin Park this year. This makes a total of eleven benches donated through the Allegheny County Parks Foundation to commemorate individuals and organizations.
Generations before us enjoyed the variety of recreational and cultural activities and natural environments offered in the Allegheny County Parks. As the Allegheny County Parks Foundation designs and deliver projects in these extraordinary parks, we expect to enjoy a new wave of support from people vested in healthy lifestyles and the betterment of these regional treasures. Please consider supporting the Parks with your donation at http://www.acparksfoundation.org/donate/